Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sewing, who knew it could be fun?

 Growing up I often did crafts projects with my mom. Sometimes we even did some sewing. My mom is a good seamstress. I remember watching her look at a pattern and she knew exactly what to do and then would start her creation. Her mom taught her how to sew and my Grandma has sewn multiple table clothes for all of her grandchildren when they get married along with numerous other things.
 
I on the other hand did not inherit that lovely ability to sew. When I was younger I started multiple projects but never seemed to finish them (I'm pretty sure there is still lavender fabric in the sewing/craft room at my folks house that was supposed to be a dress or a skirt but never made it that far) At one time I remember my mom telling me that I had to finish a project before I could start another one. All I know is that sewing can be a lot of work, especially a lot of preparation (or at least in my young mind). I didn't enjoy making sure the fabric was washed, getting the ironing board out, ironing the fabric, following a pattern, cutting it out, pinning it, ironing some more, figuring out how to thread the machine, and then if all went well actually beginning to sew. Usually about at the get the fabric washed and dried step I was ready to do something else. So projects took me a very long time!

For Christmas 2011 my folks bought me a sewing machine. I was excited about the idea of being able to create gifts, sew pillows, and one day baby stuff (so now that day has come stay posted for future projects :) It took my about 6 months to take my sewing machine out of the box, I guess I had to warm up to the idea. But once I did I decided I was going to start making baby taggie blankets as gifts because lots of my friends were having babies. I found an easy website to follow and away I went, and low and behold I actually enjoyed the process!

Now I think it's fun to go to the fabric store, find the cutest prints and then make them into gifts. Don't get too impressed, I'm really not a technical seamstress, I don't follow patterns, basically I just sew 12" by 12" squares of cute fabric, and I haven't attempted anything with rounded edges. But I enjoy sewing, it's become a fun hobby and a great way to keep myself busy.

My next projects are to make our little Grape curtains, a dust ruffle for his crib, a pillow for the rocker and possibly some sort of quilt/blanket (this scares me a little from what I've been reading online but we'll see).

I'll try to post my projects as I go. First I need to find a fabric store close to us :)


My sewing machine, probably the last time it has pink thread on it for a while :)
 
 Ribbon collection for making taggie blankets

 
Here's my most recent taggie blanket, love the pattern with the ribbon colors, it's a baby gift for Gabe's chief resident's new little girl.


1 comment:

  1. Love your taggie blanket! If you are on pintrest, you should look up my sewing board. Full of fun, AMBITIOUS sewing projects. I've been thinking more and more about forcing small group ladies into a craft/project night. Of course I want Nicole to host, so I need to be subtle in my intentions :)

    ReplyDelete