When we first moved here I wasn't in a super big hurry to get a job. Gabe had about a month off and I wanted to enjoy my time with him and my OT license from New York hadn't come in yet so I couldn't technically apply for any jobs.
After July 1st rolled around and Gabe started spending most of his waking hours at the hospital I started to become a little more motivated, for one thing I'm an extrovert and wanted some social interaction (walking around Target or the mall watching people wasn't cutting it anymore) and I also am in charge of the budget and finances in our family and I realized that I should get a job so we don't end up starving in NYC (although I hear they have good food pantries :)
So I spent July waiting for my OT license to come through. Then finally it came in the mail the end of July so I started the application process. There aren't very many OT jobs listed in our area that don't revolve home health care (I'm just not into going into random strangers house in a city and culture that I don't really understand, not to mention the driving that goes with all that), and surprising there weren't any full time positions posted, only part time and PRN (for those of you not in the medical field basically it means "per request necessary" in that if they have a higher census, somebody is sick, or on vacation they will call you to fill in"
I threw my hat into the ring for a couple of PRN jobs in hopes that I could get both and that would help fill my schedule to full time (or mostly full time) but give me flexibility when Grape makes his appearance. The jobs had been posted for quite a while (one since April) and I applied the first part of August. Then I got to play the waiting game. I didn't hear anything from either place for about 3 weeks, and then I got calls from both places offering me interviews. The first hospital position is in an outpatient clinic (which is really my passion in OT) and they were looking for someone to help out a couple of days a week - perfect! The second hospital position is for inpatient rehab (I like a good mix so I was ok with this as well). I agreed to interview for both, but of course that took at least a week to set up (nothing is fast in New York except for people driving, talking, and walking in the subway stations). I interviewed for both positions and really liked them both. Then I had the pleasure of waiting to hear if I would be extended the offer.
Just when I was starting to doubt my abilities, fit for the job, the Lord's provision (why do I do this?) The Lord graciously brought me to Luke 12 (I'm currently reading through Luke and Psalms, so encouraging!) Specifically Luke 12:22-31
22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
Love how the Lord gives us the perfect passage at just the right time! Just when I thought for sure I was going to have to eat ramen noodles and white bread for the rest of my life (Gabe probably wouldn't mind if he ate like this for forever :) I was comforted that God knows exactly our situation, our needs, and the perfect job for me!
Later that week I received job offers from both places on the same day. Thanks Lord!
I accepted both offers and now am in the process of going through orientation at the outpatient clinic. Still have to do my drug test for the inpatient job but I'm not too worried about that.
I love glimpses of God's perfect provision and timing! Reminds me how much He cares for us and knows exactly what is going on in each of our lives!
yay for jobs! I'm excited to hear more work stories!
ReplyDelete