The day my folks flew in I had mandatory orientation at my new job so I wasn't able to meet them at the subway station. So I sent directions and they were going to walk to our house from the subway. Well, the best laid plans don't always work out and the AirTrain that they needed to take from JFK to get to the subway was under construction, so they had to take a bus and then the subway. They also got to the subway at rush hour so sometimes there is an express train that goes directly to our stop, otherwise you have to transfer to another train which goes to our stop. Well, needless to say the "friendly New Yorkers" on the train told them that yes they were on the express train when they really weren't (supposedly the lady was distracted so I should cut her a little slack). So my folks saw some crazy stuff on their subway ride (you'll have to ask them about it :). They ended up having to get off at a stop that's a couple miles from our house and then I drove to pick them up because it was quicker that way. Ironically the stop they got off at is really close to one of the housing projects they immediately had the chance to experience people looking at them (yes, we are definitely the minority in certain areas)
Eventually we made it to our house. It had been a long day of travel for them. It felt like Christmas because they brought us lots of fun surprises from the Midwest. So Gabe loves a pie that is made by a lady called The Village Piemaker about an hour and a half or so from Hastings, whenever we are at my folks house we always have a pie because my mom knows how much Gabe loves them. So they flew 2 frozen pies from NE just for Gabe. I love red hot dogs also known as "the official hotdog of Husker nation" so they brought hotdogs. Then Dad brought some of his pumpkins that he grew. Grandma Wall sent a sweet baby blanket for Grape. James and Audrey sent me a birthday present which was the diaper bag for Grape, so sweet! Oh, Mom and Dad also brought protein bars from Aldi (I miss Aldi, what a great way to save money on groceries and we love their protein bars for breakfast on the go).
Pies and hot dogs!
Pumpkins!
Mom and Dad took me to a restraint close to our house that's right on the water for my birthday lunch. It was delish and the views were fabulous. I'm assuming this mural is made from found items after the hurricane.
Mom showing how tall the water was after Sandy at the restaurant
View of the water from the restaurant
Mom and Dad at the restaurant. This bridge is about 4 blocks from our house. Nice to have a place we can walk to that has such great views and a good burger as well. Oh, and garlic fries that are delicious!
Birthday supper at Red Lobster, our waiter let Gabe choose what dessert I would like, he did a great job!
Gabe and Taylor helping me celebrate
Mom and Dad also enjoying the birthday dessert!
Mom made me the most delicious chocolate, raspberry cheesecake!
This was take 2, I had accidently blown out my candle when I was supposed to be pretending.
We ate pizza close to the Brooklyn Bridge - it was delish!
Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
So far walking the Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite things to do!
On the bridge, great view of the City
Manhattan
Statue of Liberty (which was closed because of the government shutdown, bummer because we were planning on going)
At the 9-11 Memorial in front of the survivor tree. It was a beautiful day to explore the city.
My friend Ashley just got a new job at this company (right Ash?) in Pittsburgh, we ended up walking past one of their NY offices after we visited the Memorial.
On Sunday Gabe had the day off so we all got to go into the City. We had a great time, we went to Times Square, Rockfeller Plaza, saw the Today Show, and my favorite we went to The Lion King on Broadway. I think we all loved the show, the music, dancing, it was all fabulous! The way the actors portrayed the animals was fascinating. If you ever get the chance it's a must see!
Times Square and the Ball ready for New Years Eve
Mom and Dad in Times Square
Broadway
We had to enjoy some street food before we went to the show. I love this picture!
Delicious!
The theater was right off of Times Square which was super convenient!
Ready for the show
Dad could be the next Simba :)
View from inside the theater
They are ready for their Broadway debut!
The theater was decorated really neat, notice the wooden lion mask in the background
So cute!
Radio City Music Hall
We ate at this fun restaurant after the show where all the wait staff sings, it was really fun. Thanks for the recommendation Taylor!
Rockefeller Plaza
Can't wait to actually see the tree in person!
The Today Show set. I think Mom and Dad could get viewers of the year award (if they do that, I think they should :)
So that's the visit in review. I didn't want them to go back home but they will be back before we know it once Grape comes and we have lots of other visitors coming. Can't wait for the Moore's to come in early November and Gabe's folks Chris and Rhonda to come in the middle of November. So for all of you who are considering coming to visit, come on over, we'll have a great time!
The Lion King is the only musical Lance will agree to seeing more than once :) It's a def winner! I'm excited for you to see the Christmas tree in person too. Looks like you guys had a jam packed visit!
ReplyDelete