Saturday, October 26, 2013

Saturday - Studying and Sewing

Saturday, how I love you! The start of a weekend, a time to refresh and recoup. Not that I need a lot of recouping as I feel this is the most time I've had in my life probably ever. I'm only working 8 hours a week, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 2-6pm, (I would like it to be around 16 hours, something to keep praying about :) and then I am a housewife. It's been quite enjoyable to do all the wifely things like laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep, cleaning etc. In Des Moines I probably would have been bored only working 8 hours a week as I could accomplish a lot more in one errand running adventure but here everything takes longer. I can no longer walk down the hall to the washing machine, but have to carry our laundry outside and around the corner to the on site laundry mat (it's not too far so don't feel too sorry for me).  Any trip to the grocery store takes at least 1.5 hours (seems like I have to plan on spending at least 30 minutes waiting in line, so not everything is "faster" in New York). Then if you want to actually go to Target or the mall you're looking at least a 45 minute drive each way. So I try to be strategic with my trips out and about, making the most of my time and gas :) All that to say, I try to do all my housework and wifely things during the week and use the weekends to spend as much time with Gabe or doing fun stuff like sewing :) I suppose I should enjoy my "free weekends" before Grape comes because then there's really no time off for a mommy.

Which brings me to this weekend. I made a cute flannel receiving blanket for Grape today. I love the fabric and it's super soft. I don't know if we'll use it to swaddle him in or if it will be more like a play mat but either way it will get used.

Gabe on the other hand works all the time. He seriously works 6 days a week, probably anywhere between 70-80 hours, I've never officially calculated it and the hospital doesn't either (probably because if they did they would feel guilty for working people that much and not paying them very much of an hourly rate if they actually calculated it out.) Gabe hasn't had a 2 day weekend since he started July 1st, that is until this weekend! Yay! So exciting! There's just something about 48 hours of rest that's good for the body and soul. Unfortunately it's not all rest for him, he has to work on a Genetics presentation that he has to give on Thursday. So while he's been studying I've been sewing and trying not to distract him (feels like med school again :) I'm praying he'll have more 2 day weekends in his future but I better not hold my breath for them!

Tonight we are going to have Chinese food as our celebration for the weekend. We'll probably end up carrying out and watching football at home, as long as we're together that's all that matters to me. Tomorrow we'll go to church and then of course watch the Packers play the Vikings tomorrow night.

Happy weekend to you, hope you find it refreshing and productive!

 Here's Dr. Johnson working on his presentation with the blanket I sewed over the chair

Here's a close up of the fabric, so cute! I did a decorative stich around the outside and really like how it turned out. It's not the straightest in some places but it's made with love so I tell myself that's all that matters :)

1 comment:

  1. Your post served as a good reminder of how lucky I am to have Target w/in a 10 minute drive. But you couldn't prove it by Lance, he complained that I was gone too long yesterday when I went to a yoga class, to Trader Joes, to Costco and get gas all within 2 hr and 45 minutes!

    ReplyDelete