Friday, November 15, 2013

Friendship!

Have you ever had friends that you understand so well that it seems like you've known each other for forever? One of those friendships were you don't have to worry about what you say or being misunderstood because you get each other? Friendships were you can talk every day or go months but then pick up exactly where you left off? We have been blessed with amazing friends! (Gabe collects friends because he's good about staying in touch with people, in fact I don't think he's ever met a stranger. I really enjoy getting to know people and what they are all about. Also, we are both extroverts and gain our energy from being around others!) 

Another thing I love is having "couple friends." I love it when we meet another couple who we get along with so well but that the guys can go have guy time while the girls go shopping and giggle :)

Our wonderful friends Kyle and Ashley were here this past weekend visiting (which inspired this post.) Gabe met Kyle the first day of medical school and they hit it off by talking about FL as Kyle and Ash are from Tampa. Then I met Ashley at an all school picnic but only briefly. I was so sad when I couldn't find her after we went through the food line, but God had it all taken care of because we both went to a Knitting Club get together through the spouse support group, such a fun way for God to cross our paths! From that point on Ash and I (and a couple of other sweet friends - Erica and Nicole :) spent a lot of time together during our 4 years in Des Moines. The boys spent a lot of time hanging out as well. Some of my favorite times in Des Moines were when all the couples would get together at someone's house for supper. We called ourselves "the Des Moines Family" because we really were each others support group through medical school.

It was so wonderful to have Kyle and Ash here, just like the good o'l days catching up on life, laughing about funny patient stories the boys have had, and just enjoying being together. I met them in the city on Friday and we had delicious NYC pizza and then walked the Brooklyn Bridge. We had chili at our house on Friday night and just relaxed (we were going to have cinnamon rolls as well but they were a flop so that's a bummer!)

Saturday we went into the city and went to the Statue of Liberty. Then we went to a Ramen shop for supper - delish! Kyle and Ash went to watch Kyle's sister in a dance performance later that night.

They left early Sunday morning to go back to Pittsburgh. So wonderful to have them, wish we lived closer but I'm grateful that we are within driving distance (about 7 hours) :)

 Grimaldi's - NYC pizza

 Delish!
 Kyle and Ash - aren't they cute!
 Manhattan


Grape was excited to spend time with Auntie Ashley!
 
 Lady Liberty
 Ash and I on the Ferry
 On our way to the Statue!
 Manhattan - a nice view of the new tower!
 Manhattan


 The Boys

 The Girls
 The Moore's
 Inside the Statue there's a really neat museum, I can't remember what the sign said about this though. Oops, I want tot go back again so who wants to visit?

 Gabe listening to the audio tower
 Ellis Island - we missed the last ferry to the island because there weren't any signs posted, so next time I want to make it to see that as well!

 We had tickets to the pedestal which was a great view of the city once you were up there but it was a lot of stairs! I thought I was in good shape but man I was out of breath!
 View of Manhattan and the Ferry
 Gabe looks great in this picture! Wish I did as well :)
 Inside the statue, neat to see the framework
 She really is beautiful!
 Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center - they had just brought it in the day before and the scaffolding was still up so they can decorate the tree.
 Ash with her delicious meal!
 Dr. Moore with his food
 Delish!
Great food and great company!
 

2 comments: